Dave Freeman has spent the last 8 years exploring the world’s rainforests. Numerous expeditions to the Amazon help him to bring the rainforest to life in a meaningful way that will leave your students eager to learn more. During the 2008/2009 school year Dave conducted over 50 school visits, bringing the wonders of exploration and the Amazon Rainforest to over 10,000 students. Dave and his team members use interactive activities as well as photos, videos, sounds, stories, and artifacts collected during expeditions to help students understand how plants, animals, and people live in the rainforest.
Plus, students will learn how their lives are connected to the world’s rainforests by the foods students eat, products they use, and even the air they breathe.
After a school visit you will be able to:
- Recognize the rainforest’s allure and biodiversity.
- Identify foods and materials you use that come from the rainforest.
- Describe a rainforest, including its climate, plants, animals, and people.
- Discuss the relationship between rainforests, global warming, and other world issues.
- Help save the rainforests through personal action.
- Engage in live online expedtions, including the Trans-Amazon Expedition.
Depending on your needs and interests, our program can last from 30 minutes to a full day. Generally, 50 to 60 minutes with each group of students is ideal. We can engage classes individually or give a presentation to your whole school.
- photos, videos, and other audio visual media
- worksheets, and educational activities
- hands-on activities like comparing rainfall in your area to rainfall in the Amazon rainforest, using a traditional blow gun, trying to move as slow as a sloth, and estimating the size of the largest snake in the world will help students learn about and appreciate the world’s rainforests.
- time for students and teachers to ask questions and get to know Dave Freeman and other members of the expedition team.
- basic instruction on how to engage in our learning adventures
For more information or to schedule a school visit, contact Dave at 312-505-9973 or email@example.com. Consider downloading our Rainforest Assembly Outline. It is a great way to share our program with other people in your school.